Tuesday, July 22, 2008

random thoughts for today

Yesterday Bennett and I were in Learning Express. We looked around for a while and I found some cool workbooks that had mazes and dot-to-dots, which he loves. I found him, deep in the construction section, working on some big project... I said 'Hey, would you like this book? It looks really cool - it would be good for church when you sit with us' (more on the torture that can be Sunday mornings later...)

He looked at me and said 'Well, you could probably talk me in to it.'

Well, ok then.  

I did get the book, by the way. We did not get the construction set :)

Things are going ok here.  That plan about not being busy for the next 2 weeks is officially out the window... that's ok, though, because neither of us can really stand to be at home for too long.  Other than watching TV, Bennett can't find anything to do 'round here - he's BORED or something is BOR-ing quite often.  I used to be cool enough for him, but now I am accused of ALWAYS doing housework.  My reply?  Well, if someone wouldn't make so many messes... 

I wanted to get Bennett some back-to-school clothes.  He wasn't very excited about it, but I did get him some great things (and a few for myself too, of course!!)  Do you remember when shopping for school clothes was fun? I do!  It was time to redeem my Gymboree gymbucks and I got the best deals there!!  I'm going to be sad when he can't shop there any more - most other stores have terrible selections for little boys.  Who wants their 5 year old to be dressed like a skater-punk? Or a rock star?  Beats me.

My mind has been preoccupied with sadness and worry over my friend Shelley and her family's loss of their 17 year old daughter. Just last week she was celebrating a surprise addition to their family with her pregnancy, and tomorrow they will lay their daughter to rest.  It is something that I can not imagine, and I have been in constant contact with God throughout the day yesterday and today - praying for their family and trying to figure out His plan. All I know for sure is that He carries us in times when we need Him, and I'm praying that the Burkett's feel His big arms wrapped around them as they deal with Katie's death.  I also know that this life here on earth, although all we can understand, is not our final destination - heaven is our great reward. It is still so hard to understand...  Shelley - you are in my constant prayers.

I am thankful for this day and all the ordinary-ness that it brings.  Sassy 5 year olds, clean laundry all over the house, slow gas pumps, leftovers for dinner, church meetings, Tae Kwon Do, vacuums that get all the dog hair up, and even big rain storms and husbands who have to stay late at work. All of these things make up my life today - and I just remembered to be thankful to God for giving it to me.  

What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

Shelley Burkett said...

Add "great friends" to your list of things to be thankful for. I love you :)