Thursday, July 31, 2008

One more week...

until Bennett goes off to kindergarten. How can that be? I'm not sure how this summer (the summer that I meant to be laid back and slow) has gone by so fast... And now I am faced with preparing for big school!  Wow.

Brad and I went on Monday night to the parent Q&A. That really got me thinking (and OF COURSE worrying). What if he can't find his class when I drop him off in the morning? What if he doesn't remember his lunchroom number? Will he be happy there? Will he lay on that towel for rest time for 30 minutes every day? What if he loses his snack? What if I forget to pack his snack? What am I going to do from 8 to 3 every day of the week? Will I be able to help out up at the school? Will he be sad? Will he be nervous? How will I hide my sadness and my nervousness? What if? What??  Maybe I should just home school...

Brad said no to the home schooling idea. Not just 'I don't think that would be a good idea'. 'NO!'  So, that's decided :)

So, we got through that - oh, and we went to Alabama Adventure on Monday too. No lines, no waiting. Whew.  My friend Kelly and I went together and we decided that we would let the kids go to the rides too. Just 'cause we wanted to be in the running for mother of the year, I think :) We had a great time - and when Bennett saw the bumper cars he exclaimed 'This is the BEST day of my whole ENTIRE life'... if only I had known, we could have done that sooner, I guess.
Yesterday we went to Nashville to visit my college roommate, Jen, and her girls. We had a great time - it is hard to believe that our kids are going to school. I remember getting them together when they were just babies and dreaming about how they might get married one day :) We never considered kindergarten transitions...  
The kids had a great time, but I think Jen and I had an even better time. It was so nice to be able to catch up. And, I was so glad to finally meet Kiki, the newest addition to the family (although she's turning 1 next week!!)  Thanks for a great visit, Jen! Oh, and those cinnamon rolls were so yummy!!!
This afternoon we went back up to the school and we got Bennett's supplies, his carpool number, and paid his fees.  He told Brad that today was his first day of school. Not quite... but, we did pretend that he was in carpool and he showed me just how he's gonna do it. He knows exactly where his classroom is. I am breathing easier. Breathe in. Breathe out. Slow... And, I signed up for everything that I could for the classroom!

I am going to make it through this kindergarten thing. I mean, he is totally ready to go. And, I am excited for him to go. Really, I am.  If I can just get rid of this sensation of my heart hurting, I think I'll be ok...


1 comment:

Just call me "B" said...

Oh, Amy! I feel you.

I just HATE the first day of school. Every year. And, my Mason is 13!!!!

It hit me so much harder when Chapman went to K......because then they were BOTH gone!

Yes, you will make it! Yes, he will too! He will be SO happy to see you that afternoon!

He will hug you big!

And, you can be in the running for Mother of the Year! With cookies in the afternoon, and snacks, and good times!

Hang in there! The days get better.