Thursday, September 18, 2008

This is what being a parent is all about.

Tonight while I was fixing dinner (which consisted of ham, cheese, cheese chips and party dip - partay-up-in-heee-uh! Can you tell that Brad was not home for dinner? Nope - he is dining at Highland's tonight. Makes my ham and cheese sandwich kinda sad... but I digress!!) Anyway, while I was fixing that gourmet meal, Bennett asked me what animals were the first on the earth.  His little mind is crazy-busy these days with questions and figuring things out.

I paused and all of those science classes flashed before my eyes (I love science!!) and I thought about how best to answer that question. The answer came, though, and I told him that I could read him all about the beginning of the earth from the Bible. 'Okay!' he said so I handed him his dinner and opened the Bible to Genesis and the creation story in my Bible. He listened so carefully as I told him the story. Verse by verse. Day by day. Creation by creation. The earth, the sky, the lights, the water, the land, the fish, the birds, the animals. Adam. Eve. 'That's neat' he said. I explained that God wrote everything that we need to know in the Bible and that we can read it any time. He said that was really neat.

He thought for a minute and then he said 'Can you read me the story about the star?' After a little discussion I realized he was talking about the little star that we read about last night - the star that landed on top of the manger and led the way on Christmas. I told him that the story of the star was in the Bible, but that it was a little different. I told him that Jesus' birth was told by 4 different people in the Bible - Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. He said 'Let's hear Matthew first.' So, that's what we did. We read the Christmas story from all 4 books. While we ate our gourmet dinner. 

And I was overcome with thankfulness for the privilege of that very moment. The first time that I really read the Bible with Bennett. Not little children's stories about the stories in the Bible (which of course, are wonderful!), but the exact words of God. And this ordinary day became extraordinary. I am thankful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't all their little questions and conversations just leave you in awe?