Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Coming up for air

Wow! Long time, no blog, huh?  I'm finally able to think straight - and I can't really think of much to say :) That's kinda strange for me, isn't it?

I'll start with a re-cap of the past week... Giggles and Grace (the consignment sale at my church) was a HUGE success! We sold over $65,000 worth of merchandise, which means nearly $17,000 for our Children's Ministry!!!  Yea!!! I was at the sale whenever the doors were open (no, not to shop - although I did get some goodies). I was working the cash registers and trying to keep things moving smoothly. I think for the most part, everything went really well.  I got to work with some super-fab ladies and I do truly have an appreciation for what the Lord did in our church in just those few days. All those ladies, coming together to shop and sell, and no one got hurt or mad (at least not really mad)!!  It was great.

Of course, in the midst of the sale, I totally had to ignore Brad and Bennett. That was stressful for me, although I think that neither one of them seemed to be bothered by my absence!!  Gone are those days when I thought I was the only one that could take care of Bennett and make him happy!! (thank goodness - for everyone's sake!!)  Bennett played his first 2 soccer games last weekend (with Brad coaching) and Brad said that he did great! He made a goal and seemed to have a great time. Bennett told me that he played his hardest because he was thinking of me :)  So sweet, yet somewhat like a dagger to my heart, you know?  I promised not to miss another game!!

Sunday Bennett started complaining about being cold and having a tummy ache - and he took a 2 hour nap. Since he never ever ever naps, I knew that something was truly wrong. When he woke up he had a fever and was still complaining about his stomach.  He made a quick recovery - never did get sick - and the fever was gone by that evening.  He did stay home on Monday due to the 24-hour-fever-free rule, so my day was totally rearranged!! Nothing like a forced day at home, though. We stayed in our jammies all day and just hung out. I think we both needed it!! 

Yesterday Bennett went back to school and I worked in the library.  Then, Brad and I had lunch with Bennett in the lunch room. He was so excited - I couldn't help but eat the steak nuggets and french fries :)  He showed us the ropes of the line and then where to sit. He even showed us where to put our garbage and how to bang our trays on the bar so all the sticky stuff came off :)  I can't wait to go back again...

I've finally completed all of my room mother duties (for now) and I have just a few housekeeping details to take care of from the consignment sale. I will be so glad to get all of that taken care of so that we can write the checks and get them out.  And I'll be getting a nice little check for the items I sold too (minus the $40 that Bennett 'earned' from selling his toys... at least it got him to clean out the playroom, right??) I thought that I didn't have anything to bring up there this time, but I was able to find quite a bit!! What should I spend it on? Oh who am I kidding - I know I'm heading up to Scrap Etc.!!!

On top of all of this craziness, I'm still totally OBSESSED with the Twilight series. I'm on the last book - and I had to LOCK IT IN MY CAR today so that I could actually get something done here at the house!! That is sad, isn't it? But it is so good!! Yes, I know that it is written for teenaged girls. Yes, I know it is a vampire love story. Yes, I know that I could be reading something much more 'enlightening'. But I can promise you that this is the only time in my life that I have read 4 books in less than, like, 2 weeks!!! Now that has to count for something - just ask Angie how fast I used to read. S-L-O-W.  At least I'm working on my speed :)

Ok, now I'm off to pick Bennett up from school. Tonight we are going to church for dinner and a G&G wrap up meeting. Church nights are always great - but also super stress-producing due to the craziness that ensues while we wait in the hall to pay and get our food. Something about that line and that hall makes the kids act like they are wild animals in the zoo. I'll try to take my chill pill on the way in :)

Oh, did I say that couldn't think of anything to say? Yeah, right! :)


2 comments:

Katie Burnett said...

You did an AMAZING job with G&G. I was super impressed with how slick the checkout process was. Great job and Yay for the Children's Ministry!

Can't wait to talk with you after you finish BD.

Anonymous said...

umm...caged animals that were fed smarties straight through the veins....that's what that long line makes me think of. tonight reaffirmed why i decided we didn't have to go this year.

laci