Sunday, June 21, 2009

How'd we get so lucky???

Bennett tiptoed down the stairs this morning and tapped me to wake me up. As Brad pretended to be asleep, Bennett and I snuck into the kitchen and prepared breakfast in bed for Father's Day. Bennett had the menu all planned out: 3 pieces of french toast, cut half with syrup and white sugar (aka powdered sugar), waffles, pancakes, and eggs. After calculating the amount of time I had to cook, the number of eggs in the fridge, and the amount of food Brad could consume, we settled on french toast, an egg (mc)muffin sandwich, and hot chocolate. Bennett helped me at every step, even 'waking' Brad up to see if he wanted syrup or not. He wasn't quite sure of Brad's choice of peanut butter, so he got both :)

As Bennett climbed into bed with Brad (with his own breakfast, of course) I could see the love and admiration that he has for his daddy. They are an amazing pair. They do everything together. They swim. They camp. They spy. They garden. They read. They go to church. They talk on the phone. They play on the playground. Watching them together brings me so much joy.

Brad has blessed my life by being such a wonderful daddy. When I dreamt of being a mother, I never really thought all that much about what kind of a father I wanted my children to have. But God thought about it - and He sent Brad to be my partner in raising Bennett. Brad's love for Bennett is amazing. He took Bennett as a baby without any hesitation or fear. As I went through my post-partum ups and downs, he and Bennett bonded. And it was strong bond. Brad is a natural daddy. He never complains about spending time with Bennett or any of the duties that are involved in his care. He's nurturing. He's stern. He's fun and adventurous. He doesn't mind getting dirty - and he loves to give hugs and kisses. He gets down on the floor and plays. He tells good made-up stories. He snuggles at bedtime. He prays. He's everything I could have ever asked for for Bennett. Bennett and I are so lucky to have him.

June 2003


June 2009

Bennett is so lucky to have Brad as a daddy - and I'm so lucky to have him as my husband!! I praise God for how wonderfully He created Brad. Happy Father's Day!!

No comments: