Tuesday, September 21, 2010

special memory made just for us

Last week, Brad was gone from Wednesday through Sunday on a boys' trip. I was happy for him to be able to go and spend time diving and dining. No, really, I was! Honestly, I enjoy time at home with just Bennett every once in a while - just the 2 of us. He is such a sweet mama's boy :)

On Friday my prayer partner emailed me that she was praying for me and that she was specifically praying that Bennett and I would make a special memory together over the weekend. I loved that! So I was on the look-out for what God had in store for us.

We went to soccer practice on Friday night. I'm sure that the special memory was NOT my yelling at him in front of everyone to stop climbing that tree (that I'd told him about 1,000 times). We went out to eat with friends, and he was super behaved in the midst of quite a bit of chaos. Could that have been our special memory?

Saturday morning we went to his soccer game. He had a good time playing, even though they lost 3 to 1.  Was that our special memory?  We went shopping at Kohl's with Gigi and Nana. He was super behaved - and loved getting a AU jersey and sleep pants. Was our special memory when he told me 'I was the best mommy ever'? :)

Our next stop (after lunch) was the Boy Scout store to get his Cub Scout uniform. He was so excited! We went into the dressing room to try on the pants and he wanted to put on the whole uniform - and then, there it was - our special memory.
As I turned my head to keep the tears of happiness from showing, I praised God for the opportunity that He's given me to be this kid's mom. Look at him! So proud to be growing up and trying new things. So many times I want to keep him little, to keep him with me and 'safe'. Who can possibly keep him safer than his Heavenly Father? I can tell that God has big things in store for my little guy (who's not so little any more!)

I praise God for special memories like this one. I never know when these moments will find me - it's often in the most unexpected places... like the dressing room at the Boy Scout store :)

We finished our afternoon with a stop to get some eye black (which is actually not black, but orange AU stickers for under his eyes for baseball), a run by Wal-m@rt to get a fan spray bottle (why is it still so hot in September???), a stop for a new bat and a bat bag, and finally a stop for some yogurt. I savored each routine step we made along the way.

We sure did have a good time together - just the 2 of us. I treasure these days when he's still so happy to be with me. As we snuggled up together for bed, we talked about how we could wait for daddy to get home :) Three is a good number too.

No comments: