Thursday, August 12, 2010

Let's go to 2nd grade!!

What?
Summer is over???!?!?
When did that happen??
.
.
.
Hello, new school year!! We're moving up to 2nd grade!
Here are our annual 'First Day of School on the stairway' pictures.

He's so handsome!!!


Don't you like that outfit? I get to pick out his clothes on the first day. Only. That's the deal we've negotiated. Oh, and picture days :)


Bye mom!!

Seriously, mom... did you just scream at me to turn around and wave? AGAIN? Well, ok...

Yea! The first day of 2nd grade is over!!

Last night, I conducted a little impromptu interview about what Bennett thought 2nd grade would be like. We had a great 'Meet the Teacher' time earlier in the day, so I was thinking that he'd have lots of hopes and dreams about the upcoming year.
Me: What do you think will be the best part of 2nd grade?
Bennett: Coming home.
Me: Really? What about during the day?
Bennett: Recess. Oh, and lunch.

Now, I know that he really enjoys school. He's a good student and doesn't (knock on wood) get into trouble. Ever. So, why the overly excited attitude about school??? I have to conclude that it must be because we had such a wonderful summer, right? Well, that, and the fact that I'm so much fun in general. And I like to shop...

As we pulled out of the school, I asked him how his first day went. 'Great!' he said. 'The best part was the morning - we had snack and went to recess!!' he exclaimed. But then, I got more details. He told me about the Berenstain story that they read, the math worksheet, the class picture, lunch, and PE. He told me about how he sat next to his special needs friend and how she laid down on him. He told me about the crown that he made and his snack mat with the picture of him and Sadie (and 2 Star Wars scenes, of course!) He also told me about how one of the students (a girl) in his class needed a bandaid and he was relieved that she didn't get one of the Star Wars bandaids. Whew. :)

So, while he tried to tell me that he's not 'into' school, I think he had a pretty good day. I'm praying for him - as I drop him off at school, each and every time that I think of him during the day (which today was about once every 5 minutes :), and as I tuck him into bed.

And me, well, I didn't cry when I dropped him off this morning, so I count that as progress.

No comments: