Monday, March 9, 2009

It's tough bearing fruit

'The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control' -Galatians 5:22,23

So, this weekend has been a slow one - mainly because I threw my back out on Thursday night (doing laundry - not exciting, but I KNEW that housework would one day be the end of me!!). I've hurt my back before, but this time has been worse - totally stopped me in my tracks for several days. I was able to get out and take some pictures of the cutest kids on Saturday morning and to go to Supper Club on Saturday night (fabulous!) Guitar Hero almost caused more injury, though...

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better this morning (Praise God!!) I'm really trying to be careful and get mended so that Bennett and I can enjoy our Spring Break plans!! Praying, praying, laying around, etc.

So, last night Bennett was drinking from a mug that he 'made' for Brad that had fruit on it and Galatians 5:22,23. It was a nice gift, since Brad loves coffee and Bennett's art work equally. Well, not equally, but he does like Bennett's art work when there is coffee involved :)  So, Bennett is reading the verse and I think 'Hey, I can teach him a little something in this moment' Was it the muscle relaxers talking? Possibly...

Me: 'Do you know what that verse means?'
Bennett: 'Not really'
Me: 'Well, you know how when a tree is healthy it bears fruit for it's owner? Like an apple tree makes apples or a  peach tree makes peaches and makes the owner happy?'
Bennett: 'Yeah.'
Me: 'Well, that's how we can be for God. If we have the Holy Spirit in us and we allow him to work in us the way God wants us too - you know, let him live in our hearts - then those things, like love, joy and peace will be things that we show to other people in our lives.'
Bennett: 'Oh. Ok.'

Short pause. I'm thinking that I've done a good job. Explained a little something to an almost 6-year-old. As a parent, that's what I'm here for, right?

Bennett: 'I'm just wondering, though'
Me: 'What are you wondering, baby?'
Bennett: 'What would be the kind fruit? An apple maybe?'
Me: sigh... 

Maybe we'll try this again in a few years :)


No comments: