Monday, March 2, 2009

Catch up post...

This post is gonna be a long one... you  might want to grab a little snack and drink before you get started :) I've got a lot of catching up to do!!

So, it has been how long since I've blogged? Hmmm....just about 2 weeks. That's bad. I'm sorry... I've been thinking about blogging. Really, I have. Something will happen or I'll grab the camera and I'll 'write' a post in my head... all the while thinking how great it will be to document this or that.  But things got busy. Really busy. And now I'm coming up for air. And here come all those things I was wanting to document!

Let's go waaaay back... On Valentine's Day Bennett completed the Mercedes Marathon. It was rainy and chilly and finding parking 'bout gave me a coronary... but he did it. Not without a lot of walking and complaining about a hurting leg. But, we held hands the whole mile and he did it.  And he has the medal to prove it :) God reminded me: that Bennett isn't ever in a hurry to do anything. I can't make him hurry. It isn't in my control. Give it up and enjoy the moment. Even if it is cold and damp and a little claustrophobic on the streets (and you have to use a port-a-potty when you left your hand sanitizer in the car - how could I have known???)
So, the next weekend was crazy busy with Giggles and Grace at church. I worked in Finance again, and we sold about $85,000 worth of stuff in just about 48 hours!! Wowee!! We had the BEST volunteers - they totally rolled with whatever we asked them to do and were willing to stay late, whatever. Love them! God reminded me that: He can work through us to make a mighty statement. Anything is possible through Him. Even ringing up over 13,000 items with a smile :)

As we were in the midst of checking people out (the line wrapped around the gym) on Friday morning, I got a phone message from my dermatologist. She told me that she had the results of the biopsy that I had the week before and that they were indicating that I could have lupus. Honestly, I shut down at that moment, stuffed my phone in my pocket and kept checking people out. No time to think about that. No. No. No. Don't cry. Don't cry. Hold it together. After talking to Brad (and listening again to the message), it seemed unlikely that Lupus would be the end diagnosis, but still, I was anxious to find out. Long story short, visited my GP, had a bloodtest, waited a few more days, and got another message... NEGATIVE!! Praise God! I still have to have another biopsy in a few weeks, but I'm not so worried about it now that I know it's not systemic. God reminded me that: He is steadfast and will take care of me no matter what diagnosis will come. He calmed my fears and gave me a sense of peace before I knew the results. He reminded me that He sent friends and family to pray for me. He reminded me that He is in control. He is awesome!

During the week of the 23rd, Bennett was star student for his class. This is the week we've been waiting for all year long. The privilege has been given in alphabetical order, so we had to wait a looonnnggg time (when I was little I was usually first, or maybe second on the roll in school. This 'St' last name stuff is tough!!) We made the poster that told all about him. We made arrangements to eat lunch with him, to send a special snack, to bring his favorite toy and book. He was set! Here is his with his poster...
It says things like 'I had a cat named Roger. He bites', 'I love my mommy and daddy', 'I like to swim' and 'My favorite movie is Star Wars and the Clone Wars.' He got to tell all about it on Monday. His classmates asked him questions (that he couldn't tell me b/c he couldn't remember!!). So cute! It was the perfect week. Until...

I took Bennett to the doctor on Wednesday to have his leg and knee checked out. He started complaining about it while running in the marathon, but it continued on and off, so Brad thought we should get it checked out. Brad NEVER thinks we should 'get it checked out' so when he said I should take him to the doctor, I did!! We had a 9 AM appt, so I took Bennett to school, checked him out 45 minutes later (don't want a tardy on the record!), and left the doctor's office a few hours later with an antibiotic for his cough, eye drops for his pink eye (hello... when did his eye get so pink?!?!?!?), instructions to stay out of school until Thursday b/c of the pink eye, a tasmanian devil band-aid and tear-stained cheeks from a blood draw (in the arm!!) and orders for x-rays of the leg at Children's South. God reminded me that: I am a mom. That's my first job and everything else falls into place after that. When Bennett is sick, so am I. Waiting on test results for Bennett is harder than waiting on my own test results, but He will hold me in those times too. HE IS IN CONTROL, not me. (do you see the theme that God is trying to drill in to me?? Control issues anyone?? :)

The xrays and blood tests came back clear - no treatment needed for the leg pain. Just wait and see. Praise God! Praises also came on the last day of the eye drops for the pink eye. Much drama ensued around the eye drops - hiding under the bed, crying, talking back, screaming (from parents and child), restraints - you name it. Not my most fun time as a mom, but you know what? We don't have pink eye anymore :)

On Thursday the 26th Bennett tested for his blue belt in Tae Kwon Do. Now, I know that I am biased, but HE NAILED IT! His form - great. One-touch sparring - top notch. Free sparring - full energy. Board break with back kick - broke that board with the first kick!!! We were so glad that we held him back from the last test. He was ready this time. God reminded me that: Bennett does things his own way and that's ok. I didn't think that he was going to be ready for this test, but I need to have faith. My little boy is growing up in a hurry. Yes, it makes me sad. But it also makes my proud.

And so thankful!   

Here he is getting his belt...
Roger? How is he, you ask? Well, he's still terrorizing the house and my craft supplies. Here he is making a statement, I suppose, that he wanted his own Valentine. Next year I'll be sure to make him one. Does he look ashamed? Sorry? I think not.
Finally, I bring you pictures of Sunday's snow day. Who would have thought we'd have snow on March 1? 

Church was cancelled (I wasn't feeling well, anyway - I officially have Bennett's cold) so we took that day and just hung out. It was nice. We played A LOT of Star Wars and rested by the fire. Oh, and I worked on the bid sheets from the school's silent auction that we had the day before. It was great - we've raised over $12,000 so far!! 

So, as you have read, I've been busy. Things are looking a little better now and I'm taking a breath or 2. I do love to be busy, but a little rest is always a good thing! God still works on me - even in the slow times - hopefully I'll be more able to pay attention so that He doesn't have to do anything too dramatic to get my attention...

And please, Lord, no more eye drops :)

No comments: