Friday, January 30, 2009

All sorts of milestones up in here!!

As you may know, I love my Honda Odyssey. LOVE IT! Brad's been trying to talk me into getting a new car for a little while now and I don't even want a new car... the Odyssey is the bomb. Totally. And yes, I am aware that it is a mini-van :)

So, on Wednesday my van became old. 100,000 mile old. All at once it just happened. Don't get me wrong - I knew that it was coming. I grabbed the camera as I was going to have lunch with Brad because I knew that it was only 7 miles away.  Here's the spot where it happened:
And here's the proof:
The van and I have been through a lot. We didn't mean to get a van. We just went to get the carseat installed in the 4 door civic (silver, of course) and when we went to drive away we realized that Brad could no longer drive with the rear-facing seat installed :) The problem? I was due to deliver in just a week. Someone had to drive me and the baby home from the hospital! So, we found ourselves at the Honda dealer and the next thing I knew, we had a new van!  The van went with me to Pensacola and was with me as I learned my way around (just me, Bennett, and the van). The van drove from Bham to Pcola and back and forth (and back and forth over and over) (many times, Bennett was screaming and I was trying to prop a bottle just to get to our destination...oh and the rigged up DVD player singing Baby Bach and Beethoven) The van had a driveway custom made for it in Pensacola. It had hail damage (in the first month we had it!). It's taken us to Atlanta, Brewton, Nashville, Gulf Shores, Sandestin and places in between. I cried in the van when I dropped Bennett off for his first day at Mother's Day Out and again when I cried when I dropped him off at kindergarten. Anyway, happy 100,000 miles van - you've been with me for a lot!! Do you have another 100,000 miles in ya? 

Ok, so the other milestone? Bennett lost his first tooth today!! It's been loose for about a month and just in the past day or so it has been reeeaaaallllyyyy loose. Brad tried to pull it last night - and I was so relieved that I wasn't going to have to do it! Well, it didn't work and they gave up. So, this morning, Bennett crawled into bed with me and said 'Mommy, can you pull my tooth?' Something came over me, and I said 'Sure. I'll try.' WHAT? Did I just say that? I don't want to pull a tooth!! Agh!

So, I grabbed a tissue, gripped the tooth, pulled once, twice, POP!. Out it came. We were both so surprised! Right away he called Nana and Daddy to share the good news! He looked in the mirror and said 'I think I've lost 2 teeth! One on the top and one on the bottom!' Nope, just one on the bottom :) The gap on the top, I explained, is perfect for spacing for his new teeth that are coming :) Here he is:
So, the tooth fairy is on her way. The tooth is in the pillow and the water is waiting for her to walk across so we can see what color she is. (WHO THOUGHT OF THIS!???!?!?) Look at him... (He's still my baby!!)
(Yes, he's really asleep! He's such a sound sleeper!)

Oh, and one last thing... He can read! WHAT?? Level H. I'd been asking him what level he was reading on (I'd seen a few girls in his class come in the library and get book packs). He was never sure - maybe A. Maybe B. He'd read several things to us, and we were shocked at what he could do... anyway, he brought home his first book pack on Thursday - Level H. And, he corrected me when I pronounced 'gladiatorial' improperly the other night...
He'll always be my baby :)


4 comments:

mary h. said...

What color the tooth fairy is? I haven't heard of that one.

Just call me "B" said...

It's so sweet, baby or not, he's always gonna be super sweet! I love the little moments!

Shelley Burkett said...

Sigh....

Creating Memories said...

Congrats on the milestone! My car is about to hit that same mark. I just hope I have my camera ready too. =)