Saturday, April 4, 2009

The day he'd always been waiting for... for his entire life

Last night as I was going to scrapbook and the boys were going to soccer practice, I kissed Bennett goodbye and said 'This is the last kiss that I'll give you while you are 5! Tomorrow morning when I kiss you, you'll be 6!!'  He replied 'I know! I can't wait! Tomorrow is the day that I've always been waiting for! For my entire life I've been waiting to be 6!!'

Tonight as we were going to bed (after a day crammed with celebrations with family and friends) I asked him if he had had a good day. 'The best of my life! This was the best day of my while entire life!' His favorite parts? Toys and cake, he said. As he drifted off to sleep, he recounted the day... light sabers, tae kwon do kicks and punches, Easter Egg hunts, pony rides, silly Gigi and Bubba, legos, and R2D2 cake. 

My favorite parts? Watching the excitement that he displayed each time someone told him 'Happy Birthday'. Seeing him break that board at his Tae Kwon Do party during the board breaking demonstration - and doing it with ease. He was so proud to show his friends all his hard work. Seeing him not get upset when, at the Easter Egg hunt, all the eggs were gone by the time we got out to the field (don't worry - they re-hid the eggs... but still, he didn't get upset at all!!).  Seeing him hug his friends and family with such love. Watching him blow out 6 - SIX - candles on that cake. Where did 6 years go? 

Today has been filled with 'I remember 6 years ago...' memories. Bennett loves to hear the story of his birth... of how we prayed for him and were so excited to meet him. How we went to the hospital and the doctor took him out of my tummy (so far the c-section has saved me the explanation of the 'real' way babies come out...that's the best thing about the c-section, by far!! :) 

Six years ago - at this very minute (9:54 PM) I was at the hospital - just me, Brad, and Bennett - and I was in awe at the gift that God had just placed in my arms at 7:16 AM that morning. The 7 pound, 6 ounce baby that I had prayed for for over 2 years. The miracle that could only have been given to us by Him.  Six years ago, I had no idea how that little baby was going to change me (I foolishly thought that I was the one who would be changing the baby!!) 

So, here is my baby today - 6 years old (and his breakfast request this morning?? Ice cream. And, yes, I did give it to him - just 'cause it was his birthday request...)
So, Bennett, Happy Birthday, baby! You'll always be my baby - no matter how grown-up you get!!! Thank you for the 6 most wonderful years of my life - I love you!   Mommy

No comments: