Friday, April 17, 2009

bloggy catch up

There's been a lot going on around here! April is always a big month, and this year was no exception (and it's only half over!!).  After Bennett's birthday weekend, Brad and I got to celebrate our 10th anniversary by a little weekend get-away to New Orleans.  I know that it's hard to believe, but this was my first time there! Brad planned every aspect of our trip - the hotel, the dinner (lunch and breakfast!!) reservations, the plane tickets, even arrangements for Bennett's care. All I had to do was pack (and trust!!).

We had a great time away. It was just the right time away (Thursday through Saturday). We stayed at the Windsor Court, and it was SO nice. We ate REALLY good... Commander's Palace for lunch on Thursday...

August for dinner Thursday night, Cafe Du Monde, Cafe Maspero, and Galatoire's on Friday, and Court of Two Sisters on Saturday...
Other than eating, we saw a lot of the city. Walked and walked and walked (and took a little horse-drawn buggy tour with a guide who yelled 'folks' and 'm'am' every 3 to 5 seconds as he pointed out much of what we had already discovered ourselves. But Brad humored me because I really wanted to take that tour...) It was such a relaxing trip and so great to be away with Brad and reconnect after 10 long (and short!!) years. 

Ten years is really a 'big' anniversary, don't you think? I mean, 10 years is a milestone in my book. We've been though so much (good & bad) together... great vacations, meeting new friends, moving in (and out) of 3 new houses, Bennett, finishing residency and getting new jobs, infertility, 2 dogs and a cat... the list goes on and on. It hasn't always been easy, but we've grown though out it all! Thanks for hangin' in there with me, Brad!! I love you!

Ok, sorry for getting sappy... back to what else has been going on. Our flight was delayed on the way home (and I almost cried in the airport because I was ready to get home to Bennett and end the spoiling that was going on while we were gone!). We got home, chatted with Bennett (whose excitement over our arrival created the best homecoming EVER!), wrote a little note to the Easter Bunny about protecting our jelly bean trail from Roger, and headed to bed.

We awoke the next morning to this:
It's hard to see here, but the Easter Bunny had taped each jelly bean to the floor so that Roger could not get them while we slept. What a clever little bunny! And Bennett (along with a little help from Brad) picked up each jelly bean before he even peeked at his basket! And his basket was goooood....

This week we tried to get back to 'normal' or as close to normal as we can possibly pretend to be. Unfortunately, Bennett's birthday attention and grandparent spoiling has created some interesting power struggles (and lectures and finally light saber removal). I'm hoping that losing the light sabers (and all other Star Wars-ish weaponry) will create a new and improved six-year-old. A girl can dream :)

I hope you have a great weekend! Next week will be exciting, I'm sure!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Silly me. I didn't know Commander's Palace had stuffed birds EVERYWHERE. Oops. Sorry, Amy... :)brad