Monday, August 20, 2012

Project Life 2012 - Week 33

August 12 - 18

It's back to school week!! How can the summer be gone already??

Honestly, I'm not ready for summer to be over! I've heard lots of moms and dads saying that they are SO ready for school to start, but not me! We've had a great time together this summer (even learning grammar together to get ready for his new school!!) 

We get into a good rhythm, this boy and me. I guess that it only makes sense that we would - it's always been him and me while Brad is at work providing for us (thanks honey!) Anyway, for us, summer whizzed by and we weren't quite ready to say goodbye.

On the other hand, we were excited to be going to a new school! This was a big decision for us - and one that was made with lots and lots of prayer. God opened doors for us and made the path so clear that we were confident that we had made the right choice. 
But if you know me at all, you know that there were some nerves still mixed in too. 

On Monday, the 13th, we went to 'Meet the Teacher' day. We were excited to see his desk and see who he would be sitting by. We had already met his teacher 2 weeks before - I think I said this in my last post - the people at our new school have been so welcoming! His teacher called and set up a meeting with her son, who is also in 4th grade, and Bennett and another boy. They became fast friends - right there in Chick-fil-A! Awesome!

Here he is in his new desk. Front row (which is a first!).
 And right by his other friend that we also met before school. 
God is good! 
Bennett did say that he thought that it was cool to sit in the front but that the other kids behind him might not appreciate his tall-ness :)


Bennett and Mrs. B

The first day of school was on Tuesday, the 14th. Most schools weren't starting until the following Monday, so we were ahead of the game!
Here are the first day pictures:
Look at those long legs!!
Want to remember the kindergarten pictures? Go here
Why is he growing up so fast??

Woo-wee! He sure is handsome! Look at the uniform! 
We've never had a uniform before, but I have to admit that it does look nice (and certainly cuts down on the fighting-about-what-to-wear dilemmas that we've had in the past :)

Yes, I know that I should have ironed those pants. Brad and Nana - I am sorry! :)
Honestly, I didn't even think about it until Brad saw these pictures and said 'Why didn't you tell me that his shorts needed ironing! I would have ironed them!" 
Have I mentioned that ironing is not my strong point?


He was very patient with me until the veerrryy end.

So, to be honest, there were some nerves this morning. A little teary-ness. I knew that I would be nervous, but Bennett had kept his cool right up until the big morning. 
But that's ok. 
We talked about it. We prayed about it. 
I was thankful for the opportunity to walk him in - all the way right up to his classroom.
He even held me hand for a second on the way in.
But once we hit the classroom door, he was right in his element. In fact, I had to make a point of calling him over and saying good-bye :)

Then I made it out to the car and I wondered what in the world I was going to do without him for 4 and a half hours. Then I took a deep breath, prayed a little more, and headed out of the parking lot to my first-day-of school massage :)

Oh, and when I picked him up from school and asked him how his first day was, he said 'That was the best day of school I've EVER had!'. 
Answered prayers for sure.




No comments: