Friday, August 17, 2012

Project Life 2012 - Week 32

August 5 - 11
Well, yet another week that I didn't take many pictures... there were a few exciting things that happened this week, though!

Bennett started the week out by taking the 2nd round of cartooning and art camp at church. Once again, he loved it! I'm sorry that these pictures are sideways, but I think that can still get the gist of what he did :)  Oh, and I don't have any of the cartooning, but they worked on anime (whatever that is - I think that it is that characters with the big eyes :)

The first day they painted on canvas and I guess that the theme was water. I love the anchor and the sea behind it. Things seemed to go awry when the Bible verse was added with a brush that was a little too big for writing. Oh well!

The second day, they painted in wood and used mixed media. I love the cross on the hill! Great job!
Nice and simple :)

On Friday, Brad was post-call and able to be home, so mom, Aunt Sue, Nellie, and I headed down to Gee's Bend to see the real place that was in the story 'Leaving Gee's Bend' By Irene Latham. We drove straight to the Gee's Bend Quilting Collective, where the sweetest ladies met us to show us around. 

 Mary Ann is on my right - she also showed us some of her current as well as her past projects. The quilt hanging the background was her first quilt and it is made out of corduroy. Amazing work!
 Look at all of those quilts! Wow! It really made us have a new-found appreciation for the quilts that our grandmothers (and great grandmothers) made. And it made me think about taking up quilting. But only for a few minutes :)

 After our visit at the Collective, we hopped on the ferry and headed over to Camden for lunch and some shopping. It was a hot, but good ride. 

 Mom, Aunt Sue, and Nellie
Such a fun and interesting day!!

While we were gone, the boys went zip lining at Red Mountain park. It was a blast! No pictures, tho :(  Just take their word for it :)

One more 'weekend of freedom' as Bennett is calling it. School starts on Tuesday! 
That post is coming right up...


No comments: