Sunday, August 14, 2011

Back to School... and why a camera makes a difference!

I'm not sure how it happened, but school started on Thursday. No, we weren't ready for summer to be over, but it happened anyway. Isn't that the way life is, really? I'm either anxiously anticipating something that is going to happen or hanging on by the tips of my toes to one last moment. I'm trying hard to enjoy the middle ground, which is where God seems to be placing me more and more often...

Anyway, here is Bennett, my 3rd grader.

Just yesterday it seems, we had a baby gate on these stairs. And just a few hours ago I was a basket case because he was starting kindergarten. You can read about my his first day of big school here :)


I can't believe that he's in 3rd grade!! He's so grown up now - we wear the same shoe size. He's quickly gaining height on me too. He loves to hang out with Brad doing boy things, but I'm still cool enough to snag some snuggles every once in a while. He's 100% obsessed with baseball, cars (jeeps and fast cars in particular), and Phineus and Ferb. His handwriting can be very neat, and his math skills are out of this world. He reads fast and comprehends almost everything that goes into his brain. Oh, and he STILL asks questions all the time. All the time. ALL. THE. TIME.  :)


He's so independent now, too. He can fix his own food (not that he does it all that often), shower and do all his hygiene duties all by himself, and can even stay home by himself for 5 minutes when Brad gives me a ride in his new car... 


I love this boy so much. I am thankful for him. So very thankful to be his mom. Even if he is growing up in the blink of an eye.


------------------------------------


Ok... on to the next topic. I have a little confession... those pictures up there. Yeah, those first day of school pictures. Those are re-dos. Yup. I was dumb and tried to take the real pictures with my old camera and this is what I got...


And you might or might not be able to tell, but this picture is HIGHLY editted. Yikes. So, for those of you who wonder what difference a camera can make - let me be the example :)  Not only the camera, but also the user... on the 'bad' picture I just turned the camera on and let it think for me. The flash popped up and I just went with it. The cost: $1. That's what I had to pay Bennett to let me re-take pictures this afternoon ;)


Oh, and also the location makes a big difference too. Of course, when Bennett was 2 and going to preschool, these steps were precious. The backpack was bigger than he was. Now, he's 8 and I have to open the door and stand outside to fit his whole body into the frame :)


 Anyway, I hope that I remember this photographic lesson next year. Don't be lazy. Set the camera up the way I want it - and then enjoy the results. Sure, they don't all come out perfect, but that's ok. At least they make me smile...

1 comment:

Angie said...

This post makes me want to cry for some reason. I always think back to that post when he was starting CASA, and the backpack really was bigger than him. He is so grown up now!! That picture at the top (the re-do) is SO good!! So handsome!!