Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 9, 2011

The 9th was a special day. It was a day to celebrate our Papa, Marvin Ray Boothe. He went home to be with Jesus on December 30, and we had his Memorial Service on the 9th. 

I am lucky to be able to have all of his and my Granny's pictures here at my house. I worked on them a few years ago to get them in order, but Papa got sick and we were never able to get all of the stories about those pictures down on paper. That's ok, though. As I look at the pictures, I can see what a wonderful man he was and what an exciting life he and Granny had together.

 These are just a few of the pictures of my Papa. This is the display at his service. It was a nice service with about 50 of his friends and family in attendance. The preacher at his nursing home gave a wonderful account of his life - his service in the military, his heroism as a pilot, his leadership at UAB, his dedication as a husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. 

I will never forget seeing one of his friends from the nursing home as he rode on his scooter into the chapel. As he passed the large painting of Papa, he saluted. It brings me to tears as I type. What a fitting way to honor someone like my Papa. I don't know any other man like him. I doubt that I ever will.

Here we are on Christmas Eve 2009. He had rallied from his broken leg and was able to get out a little bit. I'll always remember him like this. Surrounded by his family was where he was happiest. I'm so glad that he is at home in heaven with a new body. I'm sure that he and Granny are dancing just like the used to at all of their fancy parties we've heard so much about :)

When Bennett heard that Papa had passed away he was so sad that he hadn't gotten a chance to thank Papa for his Christmas present. Monday he wrote a thank you note and asked me if we could mail it to heaven. 




It's wonderful that we don't have to mail letters to heaven, but just speak these words and God hears. I have assured Bennett that Papa knows how much we love him. This note makes me smile :)


Papa taught me quite a bit. I was lucky to have him close-by when growing up. We got to spend a good amount of time with Granny and Papa. I am thankful for those moments.


- Papa taught me the value of working hard to accomplish anything that I set my mind to. I have an old autograph book from 2nd or 3rd grade that Papa signed. In that book he told me that he expected me to be the first female US president. I didn't quite attain that goal, but knowing that he believed in me meant the world. In everything that he did, he gave his best. 
-Papa taught me to take care of those you love. He returned to his childhood home to take care of his father when he became ill. He took care of my Granny when she was ill. He was strong and didn't think twice about putting his life on hold for those he loved.
- Papa knew how to have fun. I've heard so many stories and see wonderful pictures of the fun that he and Granny had. Hard work and making time for fun need to be coupled, don't they?
- Papa taught me that giving was important. He gave to his family and friends. He gave to charity. He was a good tipper (when the service was up to his expectations :)


I hope that I can pass these qualities on to Bennett. I was blessed to have Papa in my life.

No comments: