Monday, April 6, 2009

11 years ago today...

I actually wrote this post a few days ago and thought that I had it set up to post yesterday (and then promptly forgot!!) Anyway, pretend that this was posted yesterday, April 5, ok? Thanks!

11 years ago today Brad and I got engaged!!! Wow. 11 years. The story is kinda funny (and sweet) so I'll share it here...


On April 1, 1998 I had my gall bladder removed. It was NOT a joke. At least not a nice one. I had suffered for quite a while with this crazy debilitating pain, and while my 'real' doctor could not accurately diagnose me, my medical student boyfriend kept telling me that it was my gallbladder. What did he know? :) Well, turns out he was right. I ended up in the ER on March 31 and lost that little organ on April 1. Brad was in Huntsville doing a medical school rotation, and when my mom had to go out of town on a long-planned trip, Brad came down for the weekend to take care of me.

As I got to feel a little better on the 5th, Brad talked me in to going for a walk at the Botanical Gardens. A short walk. I still wasn't feeling good, right? I just had surgery, right?  So, we walked around. And we walked. And walked. Finally, we stopped and sat down. Brad started talking about 'us'. He was talking about how he wanted someone that had similar interests - someone who enjoyed doing things together, etc. Honestly, I thought he was breaking up with me. Thankfully, he wasn't!!  Finally, he asked me to marry him!!!

Well, as you know, I said yes. This is a layout that I made about the 'big' day... [warning!!! OLD SCHOOL SCRAPBOOK PAGE BELOW!!!!!]

See how my eyes are still sleepy?? :) Fresh from surgery. Probably still on pain meds. Still a long way back to the car... But still the best decision I've ever made!!! We'd dated for about a year, and I'd known since shortly after we started dating that Brad was the one God had chosen for me. I'm so thankful for the path that we've been on ever since!!

I'll post our 'how we met' story next week (just in case you are the one person in the city that hasn't heard it!!)

Oh, and I was NOT on drugs when I made that page, so I don't really have a good excuse :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

i don't know the 'how you met' story - so please share - i love those!! :)

Katie Burnett said...

I want to hear!!! I love "how we met" stories!