Monday, January 19, 2009

I just love a happy ending

Happy endings. They really are the best, aren't they? Today, while I was crammed into a movie theater with Bennett and his friend Hughes, I heard Hughes whisper to Bennett 'I just love happy endings'. I had to smile. The movie didn't go as planned... I hadn't planned on a sold-out show at noon. I hadn't planned on waiting in line for 10 minutes. I hadn't planned on going into the theater just as the lights went down. I hadn't planned on not being able to find our friends (who were saving us seats!!). I hadn't planned on the boys semi-freaking out in the darkness. I hadn't planned on sitting in the far right corner of the theater in front of (and behind) a bunch of loud-whisperers (just as an aside- if you are going to whisper, do it softly. Don't whisper loudly - that defeats the whole purpose. If you want to yell at your kid, do it. Don't whisper loudly. It's just not right).

Anyway, I didn't plan on a lot of things at the movies today. But, it was a cute movie. The boys loved it. We did reunite with Hughes' mom and sister (missed getting to talk to Laci and Sydney :( And I got to hear the boys laughing and loving the movie. Happy endings all around :)

A few years ago, that sort of 'this-is-not-how-I-planned-it' event would have been the undoing of me. I would have fretted over finding our friends. I would have been stressed about sitting somewhere other than in the seats that were being saved. I would have wondered how in the world I would find our friends in that sea of people when the movie was over. I would have wondered how I could possibly escape that theater with both boys still in-tow (and not lost in the sea of little people that was milling around aimlessly). Instead, I just found some seats. We settled in and we enjoyed. The boys didn't freak. I didn't either. Ah. What a nice change. 

I wonder how many 'happy endings' I missed out on because I was so uptight, controlling, and worried all the time. Not to say that I'm not still those things at times. I am. I know, you can't believe it, can you? :) But I am better, at least. It's been a long process and I am thankful that God has helped me learn to release that need-to-control and just enjoy things. I missed out on a lot with Bennett when he was little. Not anymore. Thank goodness Bennett (and Brad and everyone else!!) doesn't hold it against me. Another happy ending :)

edited to add: PS The movie was Hotel for Dogs :)

2 comments:

Just call me "B" said...

So what movie was it?

mary h. said...

This whole post revolves around my new years resolution. lol. It is what my page for your challenge was, and now is, gonna be about. What movie did you see?