Wednesday, November 19, 2008

He prays.

So, for the past few months Bennett has been praying for very specific things. Every night. The same things. And if he says the first part (which is the memorized prayer), then he gives me specific instructions so that I can pray for the things on the list.

Most of this started when the fire and tornado drills began at school. Bennett's obsession with fire safety was born and we had to turn off every light, appliance, check the smoke alarms, at be on the look-out for smoke at all times. It really was a worrisome couple of weeks - Bennett was super 'concerned' about fires. Any beeping noise - even the faintest microwave beep - produced questions like 'Was that a fire alarm?' Brad even turned on the fire alarm in the house to prove how loud it was and un-missable it is. All it did was hurt our ears - the obsession continued.

So, we prayed. He prayed, mostly. He prayed for God to keep us safe from fires. We prayed that if there was a fire, that we would know what to do and asked Him to watch over us throughout the night.

As you can imagine, the tornado drills produced similar fears - and we prayed that God would keep tornados, hurricanes, and even earthquakes away from our house. I smiled with Bennett prayed 'Please Lord, if those things have to come here, please keep them at the bottom of the hill'.

The next drill that was introduced was the intruder drill. I am sad that we even have to have these drills, but we do. And the kids hide quietly in the closet. And Bennett started praying for God to keep the robbers, thieves, and burglars away from our house. And one night a few weeks ago I smiled as Bennett prayed 'Dear Lord, please let all the robbers, thieves, and burglars already be asleep so that we will be safe tonight.' Smart boy. If they're asleep, they can't rob us :)

One night along the way he started using the word 'calamity'. Every night he prays (or instructs me to pray) just like this:
Dear Lord, Thank you for this beautiful day. Lord, please protect us from any calamities like tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, fires, robbers, thieves, or burglars. Please, Lord, if these things happen here, keep us safe. Please give me good dreams tonight. Not bad ones. Just good ones. and Thank you, Lord for sending your son to die on the cross. I love you Lord. Amen.

And every night I am sure that God hears those prayers. And I bet he smiles like I do :)

And, just tonight, as I went to pick Bennett up from Bible Blitz at church he was on the stage and he was going to pray for the whole assembly. God humbled me because my heart was proud. I was feeling proud that Bennett was going to pray. So this is what he prayed:
Dear Lord, Thank you for this beautiful day today. And Lord, um, Lord, well, uh, please, uh, Lord, Please don't let my cat get fleas ever again. Amen.

Fleas. Hmmm. And again I smiled. Laughed a little, to be honest. And I bet God did too :) What a sweet boy. Just the fact that he talks to God about the big and the little things is an answer to my prayers.

Oh, and I checked and Roger doesn't have fleas. And he hasn't for the last 6 weeks. Thank you God! 

Now I'm going to pray and thank God for my little boy. My little boy who reminds me how to talk to God. And again, I'm thankful. So thankful.

4 comments:

Katie Burnett said...

Precious! Don't you just love those heartfelt honest prayers from the littles?

Shelley Burkett said...

What a sweet heart :)

And YES - you can catch up (maybe not in one week). Why don't you do 2 weeks at a time - like, do this week (Week 8) and Week 1. Next week, do 9 and 2, etc.... so you won't feel so overwhelmed. And once you get going, you'll fly through it. The layouts are extremely easy and fast. Plus, you probably have more good photos on hand than I do - that's what seems to be slowing me down the most. Anyway, get to it!!!!

Just call me "B" said...

Just so sweet! I know you are proud, and you should be.

God has given you a little prayer warrior, and that is a blessing!

Creating Memories said...

He is such a smart boy! Very sweet.