Thursday, October 16, 2008

Meet Roger...

Look who we found yesterday in the empty lot by Hobby Lobby...
This is Roger. As we were walking into Hobby Lobby to buy some poster board, we heard the tiniest little 'meow'. We looked up and here was this little kitten, squeezing through a fence.  Brad (who has been secretly plotting to get a cat - now that I think of it, this seems like it might have been a plot to make me let him have a cat..... hmmm...) But anyway, Brad sat outside with this adorable kitten while Bennett and I ran in to get the poster board and a box.  Then, in a moment of weakness I somehow agreed to giving this kitten a home. Brad took it to the vet but had to leave him there for observation until the vet was in today.  We picked him up today after school. He is totally healthy and sweet.

Last night we thought he was a she so we spent all night and day thinking of beautiful girl names. We had almost settled on Sara. Then, when we went to pick her up from the vet, we found out that she was a he... and Bennett knew then that his name had to be Roger. Actually, when we left church last night and were discussing names, he told me that if the cat was a boy, he was thinking Roger was a good name. And I think it is!!

When we got home, Bennett made a welcome mat for Roger...

and the mat goes in front of his kitty condo, complete with a 'welcome to your home' sign on the wall...

Roger, who is terrified of Sadie and has yet to emerge while she is around, seems to really appreciate his home :)

I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but he is tiny (1.3 pounds) and has long black hair and green eyes. Totally adorable. And he seems really laid back and cuddly (if we can ever get him out of the box :)

And, just in case you are wondering - the cat was free... but has cost right at $300 so far (vet and necessary gear (well, what Bennett and I considered to be necessary :) Here's a little peek of what we got...
yes, that's a litter box, cozy bed with star mobile, kennel complete with soft sleeping pad (and 2 feeding dishes), Bennett's homemade creations - and you can't see the toys we got him or the comb or the food (both dry and canned). I have a feeling that he's gonna need some more 'stuff' soon enough :) Probably a nice shiny collar and those soft claws things.

If you're in the area, come and meet Roger - I think you'll love him just like we already do! What a blessing...

PS He hasn't used that litter box yet - just the floor in the pantry. I'm gonna look back at this post in a few days, when I'm wondering who tricked me into getting this cat, and try to remember the fun times :) 

4 comments:

Just call me "B" said...

Cute as a bug!

And I am totally NOT a cat fan! At all! No way.

but, that little guy is cute.

Barkley said...

That is hilarious. I'll have to tell you the story of how a little white kitten adopted US just recently! And, none of us were cat fans...but I guess we are now :)

Amy said...

No such trickery or deception on my part. I believe he was sent by God to us.
Ok, maybe I've said a prayer or two!
Brad :)

Creating Memories said...

How sweet! The pictures are great, but I think I like the welcome mat the best.