Thursday, June 26, 2008

May I introduce...

the newest green belt in the family!!!

Yes, he did it. Not only did he pass his green belt test in Tae Kwon Do today, but he did it without any hesitation!!
This time was so different from the past 2 tests. This time he has known his form (a set of 20 synchronized movements and stances) for a long time. In the past, I have just prayed that he would make it through. Last time, he had to take several kicks to hit the board just right to break it. Today - he broke it the first time :) I'm so proud!!
Here he is - ready to kick:

Here's the kick...

...and I missed the actual board break!!! Shoot! Oh well, just trust me - he did it on the first try and the look on his face was priceless (and I gasped and almost yelled 'YES!', but thankfully I contained myself :) On the way to the test we talked about what he would if he didn't break it the first time. We talked about how he would just try again. And again. And again. And never give up. He was so proud!!

Here is a stance from his form :

And finally, here are the boards, complete with signatures from his teachers (who are revered like super stars!!)

What a great day! On top of the new belt, his dentist appointment was a breeze (no novacaine for a filling - the kid is amazing!!), I got to go to prayer group and see my friends, and I'm all packed for Deeper Still in Atlanta this weekend. We leave in the morning (early so we can get some shopping in before the conference starts tomorrow night). I can't wait!

Oh, and an added bonus: Brad has to call Bennett 'sir' for the next day because Bennett out-ranks him in Tae Kwon Do. I just hope Brad passes his test on Saturday :)

Final photography note to self: Good job today taking pictures on manual - just too bad that 1/60 is too slow for action shots! duh! I knew that!! maybe next time...

1 comment:

Shelley Burkett said...

Go, Bennett!!! What a cutie :)
And, good luck to Brad, lol....

Jackson wants to learn karate. We'll probably start in the fall.

Have a GREAT weekend - I know it will be awesome. And, I'm really enjoying your blog - so glad you started it :)